bookmark_borderHow to Get a Fiancé Visa

If you’re engaged to be married but your fiancé doesn’t reside in the U.S., you’ll need to get a fiancé visa to bring your future spouse legally into the country. Before this visa is issued, a few steps must first be completed by those who meet the minimum qualifications. Known technically as the K-1 visa, it’s issued by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services Department of Homeland Security.

K-1 Visa Requirements

Couples who are engaged to be married who wish to obtain the K-1 fiancé visa must meet certain qualifications. Those qualifications include, but are not limited to:

·    The couple must have met, in person, during a period within the past two years.

·    The individual who wishes to obtain a visa must do so within 90 days of entry or departure from the US.

·    The person that you are marrying must be a citizen of the U.S. Green card holders may not apply for a fiancé visa.

·    Must provide copies of divorce and/or death certifications you’ve been married in the past, no matter the length of the marriage.

·    Must earn at least 100% of the federal poverty guidelines income.

Same-sex couples may enter into marriage in the U.S., regardless of the laws governing same-sex marriage in their country. All couples must also prove the authenticity of their relationship through photographs, written letters, and statements from people that you know.

fiancee visas hamden ct

Talk to an Attorney

If you need a fiancé visa, it’s ideal to speak to an attorney to aid in the process. Obtaining fiancee visas hamden ct can be a daunting task if you are unprepared or lack the expertise to handle the situation. Rest assured an attorney has the knowledge that you need to get your visa and make your entry-legally- into the states.